[News] Linux for the the Hospital, Christmas, the Library

Using Ubuntu Linux to solve South Africa's Medical Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| I think I'm onto something - if I dare say so myself. South Africans
| are too ready to throw away local solutions when faced with more
| expensive, inappropriate overseas ones. A project like this,
| while creating jobs and uplifting infrastructure would equip
| and empower our medical industry to fight a battle they're not
| getting a lot of help with. And we'll be doing it, the South
| African way.
`----

http://allscrubbedup.blogspot.com/2006/12/using-ubuntu-linux-to-solve-south.html

Linux powers controllable Christmas lights for charity

,----[ Quote ]
| Alek Komarnitsky's controllable Christmas lights started out as a
| hoax, but now Komarnitsky is using Linux to power the controllable
| Christmas lights for real in order to bring attention to celiac disease.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/21/1551257

Librarians stake their future on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's written in C, JavaScript and Perl, is GPLed, runs on Linux with
| Apache, uses a PostgreSQL database, Jabber for messaging and XUL
| as client-side software. The system allows easy clustering and is
| based entirely on open protocols.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/enterprise/06/12/04/1538214.shtml?tid=101

FWIW, there's also this new benchmark of the newest ATI drivers...

ATI AYiR 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=611&num=1