Re: Windows Genuine Extortion

"OdarR" <Olivier.Darge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1166693290.836591.208300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While it's true that losing people who aren't paying for the software
>> | is arguably a good thing for Microsoft, it's certain to cause an uptick
>> | over time in Linux's market share. "We don't think this is a pure
>> | win for Microsoft," IDC analyst Al Gillen said. "This is going to
>> | accelerate the Linux market as well."
>
> yep.
>
> my "pirate" XP is shutdown most of the time.
> Ubuntu is running well yeah :-)  (newbee inside)
>
> today, the choice is more clear :
> - you pay for Vista and solid hardware, accepting a weird OS, expensive
> applications and DRM somewhere (everywhere?)
> - you pay for a Macintosh and a good OS plus a nice interface.
> - go for linux (maybe the easiest is Ubuntu ?). I tried some different
> distro in the past, none were sufficient easy for me at home. Ubuntu
> seems to change things for non-geeks.

I would agree completely with that assessment.  It works as well as XP in my
limited experience.  However, it does not work any better than XP and it
does have a critical limitation in regard to existing software since it
cannot run any of the applications that I and most others use for a variety
of tasks such as banking and tax accounting.  That lack, which is not offset
by any apparent advantage elsewhere, would seem to doom it as an acceptable
alternative to Windows.

Individual users may have no such concern or may even choose to adapt to the
Linux compatible programs that do many of the same things as the Windows
based applications and so would not have any reservations about Linux.  The
problem that Linux vendors face, though, is that the computer manufacturers
who actually buy most of the Windows licenses that are sold today must cater
to the general population and Windows meets that need whilst Linux plainly
does not.  If a new computer fails to run one's existing software and the
buyer discovers this after the fact, the computer will almost always be
returned to the store where it was purchased for a refund.  That generates a
return credit for the manufacturer who must honor such returns or else lose
the massive business generated by the conventional retail stores.