Re: [News] Strategy for a Failing Internet Portal - Integrate with Desktop

  • Subject: Re: [News] Strategy for a Failing Internet Portal - Integrate with Desktop
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:51:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Nedd Ludd <NeddLudd@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>: Soapbox and Messenger Integration
>:
>: ,----[ Quote ]
>: | Instead of just IM'ing your contact a link to a video, we now allow
>: | you to actually watch a video with friends, using Windows Live
>: | Messenger in real-time.
>: `----
>:
>: http://soapboxteam.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!278AB163A6122C91!579.entry
>:
>: More monopoly abuse. One example among many which involve hardcoded
> linkage.
>
> Sounds like sour grapes from Roy.

Not at all, he's just highlighting yet another completely locked-down
application.  Presumably there'll be DRM signature checking so that you
can't actually watch what you want with "friends,", only what Microsoft
think you should be allowed to watch with "friends".

> Does Linux offer any cutting edge technology like this?

Hahahahah!  Well, Windows certainly doesn't.  This would be some kind of
web-based application, I imagine.

Video streaming of various kinds has been around for ages, as well as
video chat and so on.  Nothing to see here.

To be beautiful is enough! if a woman can do that well who should demand
more from her?  You don't want a rose to sing.
		-- Thackeray