Re: [News] Google/Linux Operating System

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 04:52:09 +0000
<5158075.DzTe8Ioa5h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> GoogleOS II: Starring Linus Torvalds
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | However our conclusion is that the most feasible one is the 3rd scenario
> | - a mini Linux distro, that users can very easily install and
> | essentially makes Google/Firefox the default Internet services
> `----
>
> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/googleos_linus_torvalds.php
>
> This relates to my previous post perhaps.

Windows as middleman?  Somebody's a little confused;
the OS is a necessary component for a modern computer.
True, Windows is cut out, but Linux replaces it (and if
Linux becomes a monopoly, there's going to be trouble).

Also, it is far from clear why an OS needs be portable,
when one can install multiple copies (although that might
require additional cost in the case of a certain vendor)
on each device.  The main issue is portability of data
and identity.

At some point one can contemplate a device - probably about
the size of a paperback -- that would truly have no control
software except a little bit to implement a web browser,
custom plugin installation, and whatever support is needed
for such things as cookies, plugins, and bookmarks.

Now *that* would truly cut out the middleman.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.