Re: Looking for mp3 player recommendations

  • Subject: Re: Looking for mp3 player recommendations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 07:42:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Michael Heiming] on Saturday 04 February 2006 07:16 \__

> In comp.os.linux.misc somebody <some@xxxxxxxx>:
>> I'd like to get an mp3 player with at least 20 GB
>> of storage.  More importantly, one that I can
>> connect to a USB port on my Fedora Core 4 box,
>> and use as a hard drive. Also, do you need any
>> special drivers to mount an mp3 player? Or with
>> a compatible model, can I just mount it like:
>
>> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
>
> Sure, probably FC4 should create the mount point in /media
> automatically. Iirc "Archos" makes nice players that will just
> show up as usb hd. Just stay away from DRM enabled crap.
>
> Good luck

Not that I would recommend the iPod, but AmaroK seems to have good
interaction with it. Modern distributions will mount it as a drive (link to
it from the Desktop automatically sometimes) as long as it is connected. I
suppose the same applies to other MP3/storage devices, but all I saw in my
own eyes was an iPod on Mandriva 2006 and Ubuntu 5.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
  7:35am  up 18 days  2:51,  10 users,  load average: 1.49, 0.89, 0.77