Re: Buying a new laptop _without_ Microsoft Windows?

  • Subject: Re: Buying a new laptop _without_ Microsoft Windows?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:45:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [Echy] on Saturday 04 February 2006 20:40 \__

> Conor O'Neill wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy a new laptop, which I will install Linux on (probably
>> Mandriva). However, everywhere I look, all new laptops come with
>> Microsoft XP pre-installed. I _don't_ want to buy this and simply
>> discard it.
>>
>> Does anyone have any (up-to-date) suggestions of places _in the UK_
>> where I can buy a top-brand laptop without an OS?
>>

> I know I am off topic, but I am thinking about installing Linux on an
> old notebook I have (Compaq Armada 7400, 400 MHz Celeron, 128MB RAM).
>
> How did you decide on Mandriva & is there a good website to learn
> more/download Linux?
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Echy
> Melbourne Australia
> About Melbourne: www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
> About Commonwealth Games Melbourne: www.melbourne2006.com.au

Hi Echy,

I recently had the chance to see Mandriva 2006 in action. I was helping a
friend get aboard the Linux wagon and Mandrive was his choice. Mandriva was
very impressive and much better than my 2 previous experiences using
Mandrake (a predecessor) boxes, which were fine nonetheless.

For laptops, wireless support is often the crucial bit. You want it to
definitely work 'out of the box'. Ubuntu and SuSE are said to have great
hardware probing, but I cannot comment on Mandriva, which probably could
make similar claims. I suggest you run through the test below [1] and make
the choice that best suits you. There is no best distribution because
different people select different hardware and have different pragmatic
requirements from their personal computer. You know you needs better, so an
automated questionnaire/answerer would help here.

[1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  8:35am  up 19 days  3:51,  14 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.06, 0.96