Re: What laptop to buy

__/ [Michael Mc Grenaghan] on Thursday 02 February 2006 19:56 \__

> I was wondering what all your opinions are on the best laptop to
> purchase for the following. I would be traveling all over the USA -
> Staying in hotels and the only things I would use on the laptop would
> be for Email, Word processing and Internet surfing. No gaming or
> graphic work.

No gaming? Why not opt for a Linux laptop? No security hassles and all of the
above is contained at the core (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice 2) rather
than require manual installation and licensing hassles.

> So it does not have to be a fancy laptop, just one that has all the
> proper peripherals so that when I do stay at a hotel and they offer
> high speed DSL, I am able to plug my laptop into their system.

Linux never has a problem with DSL. It's always a plug-and-play gig.

> Can you tell me what you would buy for the best price?
> Thanks

I would advice you to get an O/S-free laptop from Navatech <
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ > and use Ubuntu <
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ > or OpenSuSE <
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org >, both of which are free.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  8:45am  up 19 days  4:01,  14 users,  load average: 1.12, 0.77, 0.80