Re: article download speed...

  • Subject: Re: article download speed...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:56:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Vahis] on Sunday 05 February 2006 14:01 \__

> christine@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> i'm using both suse 10.0 and windows xp. (double-boot).
>> wondering why downloading news articles takes so much more time in
>> suse than the same operation in windows!
>>
>> cheers,
>> christine
>
> I'm using Thunderbird in SUSE and when testing Windows in virtual
> machines I've used it there, too. I have no such difference.
>
> Since you are using different newsreaders it's a bit hard to
> tell, but I guess if you haven't disabled ipv6 in KDE, that might
> have an influence. Maybe you have already?
>
> Vahis

Be sure to use a news reader (I notice that you are using Thunderbird 1.5,
not KNode) which has the capability of multi-threaded downloading of
messages, assuming your news server supports and permits it.

There are other factors to consider, some of which relate to the current
network and system load (open a monitor to profile this). Be sure to check
if both Windows and Linux (Thunderbird) download the same number of messages
and have analogous settings. You need to benchmark this under similar
conditions. The applications' default settings may lead to significant
performance gaps.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  4:50pm  up 19 days 12:06,  11 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.79, 0.70