Re: Sunday afternoon advocacy

  • Subject: Re: Sunday afternoon advocacy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:03:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Kier] on Sunday 05 February 2006 16:39 \__

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:22:02 +0000, M wrote:
>
>> Kier wrote:
>>
>>> The Sunday Times newspaper has an IT/technology section, which today
>>> focuses on open source software:
>>>
>>> 'Danny and Linda Lee, who are both in their mid-50s, know as much about
>>> computers as they do about gangsta rap. Yet Mr and Mrs Lee's computer at
>>> their home in Bedhampton, Hampshire, doesn't run Microsoft Windows. Nor
>>> is it a newbie0friendly Mac. "I gave my parents amachine running Linux,
>>> and they know no different," says their son Wayne. "I showed them where
>>> to click and start the internet, and they got on with it. It doesn't faze
>>> them at all."
>>>
>>> The article goes on to discuss Linux and open source software, and
>>> recommends six of the best open source programs to get people started,
>>> including Firefox ('the best web browser around, bar none'),
>>> OpenOffice.org, and the GIMP.
>>>

>> Is there by chance an Online URL to this story?
>
> Not to this one, no, but I think it may become available at a later date
> from here:
>
> www.timesonline.co.uk/doorscampaign

I know it doesn't equate to a full Linux migration*, but my 50-year-old
parents finally use Firefox and Thunderbird. They also use a Wiki for
communication rather than than relying on Hotmail.

I still urge my father to take advantage of tabbed browsing, yet it doesn't
seem to stick. Any accustoming to Open Source software makes the subsequent
transition to Linux a seamless one. This includes OpenOffice and Web-based
software.

(*) Believe me, I tried many times and have not given up.