Re: Linus in Defence of DRM?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> This was on Slashdot yesterday, but here's a story from ZDNet.
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6034964.html
>     (Torvalds says DRM isn't necessarily bad)
>
> "Provisions against digital rights management in a draft update to the
> General Public License could undermine computer security, Linus Torvalds
> said this week in e-mails reflecting the Linux leader's pragmatic
> philosophy."

The issue is about whether people should be permitted to change the
software in equipment they have bought.  RMS is saying that they should
be able to by right, Linus is saying that the supplier should have
the choice.

> Then again, "Libraries fear digital lockdown"

This is a separate and huge issue.  I find it interesting that it's the
British Library, who've presumably been looking at what Microsoft were
offering, who've realised how dangerous this is.  I was concerned about
what was going on, but perhaps I should've had faith in the keepers of
the world's largest book collection...

Knowledge should be free, not locked away.  There must be better ways of
repaying authors, collectors, collators, indexers, creators and
publishers, than DRM...

To keep your friends treat them kindly; to kill them, treat them often.