Re: Shared or Dedicated IP/Hosting

__/ [Rob] on Thursday 09 February 2006 13:36 \__

> Hi,
>
> What is the difference between shared and dedicated hosting?

Shared = many Web sites on one box or a network of boxes

Dedicated = one or more boxed /dedicated/ to a single site

> What does
> shared IP stands for?

Shared Internet Protocol address. It means that several sites potentially
share the same address, so request for pages is routed to the appropriate
filestore (/webspace) based on the domain name specified. If the visitor's
DNS server is down, this may lead to your site being inaccessible, I
imagine.

> Is shared hosting and IP one and the same thing?

Not necessarily, but usually yes.

> I am a small business which option is best for me?

How much traffic do you expect? How improtant is the uptime -- or conversely
-- what would be the monetary damage of a long downtime? Also consider
prospective site growth.

Roy

PS - Try alt.www.webmaster

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:35pm  up 23 days  8:51,  11 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.16