Re: Recommend a WiKi server, again.

__/ [Al Dykes] on Thursday 09 February 2006 03:21 \__

> I'm just learning PHP and web server stuff and woudl like to get a
> WiKi going for use with a very modest number pf pages and very low
> activity.    I want to run it on a cheap shared host LAMP service.
>
> I don't need a real database behind it.
>
> I looked at the similar discussions here and none of the
> recommendations look right. I took a look at phpwiki and it's
> obviously for much larger applications and a bit much for this
> beginner.
>
> Thanks.

I  personally use an old(er) version of phpwiki (3 installations in fact).
It is simple, lightweight (thus easy to hack) and was intuitive enough for
my  parents to pick up immediately. I am assuming that the last thing  you
need  is for visitors to be overwhelmed by complexity. Although I have not
run  any other Wiki package as an administrators (only as a user), I would
go  ahead and recommend phpwiki before it became more bloated and overcom-
plicated.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  2:45pm  up 23 days 10:01,  11 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.13