Re: Windows boots fast? Really?

  • Subject: Re: Windows boots fast? Really?
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Feb 2006 10:00:03 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:29:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > Once  you load up a dozen decent-sized applications, assuming the hardware
> > specifications  above  and Windows XP, a 3-minute load time is rather  all
> > right.
>
> Oh, this is complete garbage.  It's true that some apps (most notably,
> certain anti-virus like Norton) can slow startup, but simply loading
> applications does not slow the boot process unless they also load startup
> applications.  95% of these can be disabled without affecting the
> application one iota.  Typical culprits I always disable immediatly are
> WinZip, Quicktime, Instant Messenger clients (I typically run these only
> when I want to log into them), etc..  Even with about 8 or 9 startup
> programs in my startup, Windows still boots and is usable in under a minute
> (not counting POST).
>
> > I have seen Windows XP machines that take around 5 minutes to boot
> > and  log  into. With Linux
>
> Then something was seriously wrong.
>
> > things scale differently as the notion of  the Registry  is  non-existent.
>
> Oh yeah, besides gconf, and similar.  Nevermind that slow boot times have
> nothing to do with the registry.  But, as usual Roy, not knowing ANYTHING
> about what you're talking about doesn't stop you from commenting.

Taking 3+ minutes to boot does sound unreasonably long. Anyone with a
half-idea of what they're doing won't ever let a system get in to this
state. Take my machine for example, the bottom right of the "system
tray" only shows the clock and an icon for the speaker volume. That is
it.

I've seen people where half their task-bar is filled with crap. Most of
these people are users who don't work in the computer field (non
techies). One person I know specifically comes to mind. I asked her
what that stuff is and she doesn't even know.

So how did it get there? Her iPod installed some stuff, when she
installed her Comcast CD it installed some stuff. Her video card
installed some stuff. Her DVD writer installed some some. Etc, etc.
Most people actually follow directions when installing something like a
network card, CD-burner, etc. These devices usually come with CDs that
install all sorts of useless utilities on your computer. Most people
simply accept the "defaults" which is analgous to saying "Install all
your crap on my PC."

Besides the task-bar icons she also has all sorts of toolbars and crap
floating around her screen. This stuff came bundled with her video
card, sound card, mouse and whatever other hardware she bought. Even
then, it doesn't take anywhere near 5 minutes to boot.