Re: Oracle Embracing Open Source

  • Subject: Re: Oracle Embracing Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:22:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [GreyCloud] on Friday 10 February 2006 03:40 \__

> Larry Qualig wrote:
>
>> B Gruff wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060209_810527.htm
>>>
>>>" The open-source community may be in for a jolt. Oracle (ORCL) is
>>>plotting what could be the biggest endorsement yet by a mainstream
>>>software company for a movement that involves legions of developers across
>>>the globe who publish "open" software distributed freely over the Net,
>>>making money instead from support and maintenance"
>>>
>>>"Oracle's Ellison girded investors for an open-source push at a Feb. 8
>>>conference in Santa Monica, Calif., saying, "We are moving aggressively
>>>into open source. We are embracing it. We are not going to fight this
>>>trend. We think if we're clever, we can make it work to our advantage.""

To ours too.

>> You're timing couldn't be any better. I was just at MarketWatch.com (
>> http://www.marketwatch.com ) looking at the financial news and
>> headlines. The headline on the site in GREAT BIG TEXT says "Oracle cuts
>> jobs."
>>
>> Thought it was rather ironic, that's all.

Financially-speaking, this move to Open Source might not be a wise one. I am
not sure investors would be happy either. MySQL (and potentially PostgreSQL)
is biting at Oracle's business, among others.

http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/database/soa/Road_test_Four_databases_tested/0,39024547,39224962,00.htm

(MySQL is superior to databases from Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft)

The days of capitalising on simple query-based data fetch are over.

It wasn't long ago that Oracle made their lighter databases (1 processor)
free with the attempt to achieve customer lock-in earlier on. That attempt
exposes a true weakness. They are giving their product for free, hoping that
they can extract a few pennies in return.

> Now they are giving it away on any Sun servers sold.
> I even have three different Oracle CDs for older version of Linux, NT,
> and Solaris.  Never used them.

They are utterly useless with MySQL around. Put them in your drive and,
before you know it, your data is locked.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  5:15am  up 24 days  0:31,  11 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.54, 0.46