Re: New Grant System Compatible Only With Microsoft

__/ [John Bailo] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 03:45 \__

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021200942.html

> They did this once already with Katrina relief.
>
> For some reason, the FEMA site necessitated the use of IE6

One could spoof user-agent, but it's often far from trivial. I have Opera
installed, which proves useful under such circumstances. Firefox and Mozilla
have the required agent-altering extensions, but no everyone knows they
should be used. This gives no valid excuse to such zealous Web sites.

> I complained loudly using what channels there were, but to no avail.

I recently did that with my parents' bank. It turned out I was one among
many, so the voices accumulate until they break down that barrier.

> A true Conservative Republican would be appalled by the lack of "free
> market" economics at work in these situations.
>
> ( I notice also they only mention Apple in this article -- no mention of
> Linux. )

Yes, probably because the author must be using a Mac. Many journalists use
them.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
  3:50am  up 27 days 22:51,  13 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.71, 0.67