Re: New Grant System Compatible Only With Microsoft

Roy wrote:

>(February 13, 2006)
>
>"What if the federal government were about to give away more than $400
>billion in grants, but only people whose computers ran on Microsoft software
>could apply?"
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021200942.html

Worse in my opinion is this:

    ``A long-standing PureEdge promise to make its forms Mac-compatible
    came into question last summer when IBM bought the company. Last
    week, an IBM spokesman said the company is "still planning to fully
    support the Mac," probably by fall.''

Now what about IBM's supposed good-guy support of Linux?

This is pure, pure rubbish.  According to the article they _had_ a web
based system that was nicely democratic:

    ``And that is especially galling, several scientists said, as at
    least one major grant-making agency, the National Science
    Foundation, has for many years been using a "platform-independent"
    system that works seamlessly with all kinds of computers.''

What a horrible step backwards.

As I said in another thread, all that brave talk about governments
taking on MS is pure vapor unless stuff like this stops.

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/