Re: AOLS Stats: 13/01/2006-12/02/2006

__/ [houghi] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 06:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> He has fine controls. Otherwise, perhaps he re-compiled his client solely
>> for the purpose of that short post.
>
> Recompiled. I must find a way to get more random headers, so I don't
> show up in the stats. So not only my name should be gone. My complete
> postings should not be counted and any replies to my postings.
>
> Oh well. Now I have a script like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> vi ~/tmp/slrn-0.9.8.1/src/post.c
> cd ~/tmp/slrn-0.9.8.1
> ./configure
> make
> sudo rm /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386/slrn-0.9.8.1-1.i386.rpm
> sudo /usr/sbin/checkinstall --install=yes
> cd
>
> If I run that every day and do a liitle change, that should be enough
> for now.

Have a look at randsig -- an old and program that you can find here:

http://schestowitz.com/temp/ransig.tar.gz

You can re-use the bits that you like and achieve a rotation quite
automatically, e.g. by setting up a cron job. In my case:

5,20,35,50 * * * * nice /home/roy/Main/Programs/HTML_Tools/ransig/randsig;
echo
'http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E' >>
/home
/roy/.signature; uptime >> /home/roy/.signature; echo '      http://iuron.com
-
Open Source knowledge engine project' >> /home/roy/.signature

10,25,40,55 * * * * [omitted for brevity]

15,30,45,0 * * * * [omitted for brevity]

__/ [houghi] added on Tuesday 14 February 2006 04:07 \__

> houghi@penne : grep -A 4 User-Agent: slrn-0.9.8.1/src/post.c
> /*                post_printf (fcc_fp, "User-Agent: slrn/%s (%s)\n\n",
>                                             Slrn_Version,
> system_os_name); */
>                   post_printf (fcc_fp, "X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook
> Express 6.0%s\nX-Newsitim: The X-Newsreader part is not realy
> true.\n\n",
>                                   Slrn_Version);
>                   header = 0;
>
> I wanted to get a random number, so the version would be different each
> time. Unfortunatly my prgramming skills are not that good. Having a
> different program each time I post would also be a neat idea. :-)
>
> Another nice feature is that people who filter out the above suddenly do
> not see any of my postings anymore. <g>

[friendly tone] You must be truly embarrassed to be using slrn. How would the
developers have felt seeing their code bastardised like that?

Best wishes,