Re: Linux installs printers in two mouse clicks....

  • Subject: Re: Linux installs printers in two mouse clicks....
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:40:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Gordon] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 19:18 \__

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:10:38 +0000, M wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu 5.10 - System-Administration-Printing. New Printer. Use detected
>>> printer - yes. Thats ALL there is to it.
>>> Windows XP on the other hand, keeps telling me that my printer is new
>>> hardware. The preferred solution is - to install drivers for ANOTHER
>>> printer!
>>>
>>> NO COMPETITION at all!
>>>
>>> Linux User no 240308
>>> Ubuntu 5.10
>>> gordonDOTburgessparkerATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk to email me replace the
>>> obvious!
>>
>> My Printer is connected to my windows box, so I decided to share it, and
>> connect across the network. Being relatively new to linux I wasn't exactly
>> sure what to expect. Well it proved to be ridiculously easy. What is
>> really frightening is that linux boxes seem to be so much better at
>> talking to windows boxes than other windows boxes are.
>>
>> Regards,

> Absolutely. I networked my laptop with Kubuntu installed to my XP desktop,
> and didn't have to do ANYTHING! Samba set up the shares automatically!
> just something else that wintrolls will deny.......

This reminds me of a recent scenario at work. The guys were struggling for
hours to get brand new Dell boxes to communicate with the printer/s. The guy
on another helpdesk had a Mac. He just had to enter the right IP address and
off went the job to the printer. The folks were envious, of course. Although
it does not involve Linux (I did not bother to join that XP-centered
struggle), it comes to show that when printers don't work in Windows, it can
be a daunting experience.

They got it sorted out eventually, only when the big boss came around. It was
like watching 4 people changing a lightbulb for half a day.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
  7:35pm  up 28 days 14:36,  12 users,  load average: 1.68, 1.19, 0.89