Re: PalmSource to Develop Linux-based Mobile Phone

__/ [x0054] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 02:57 \__

> Tinman wrote:
>> Guy Bannis wrote:

>>>The emulation layer is nothing new.
>>

>> I asked about ARM code, not a68 emulation.
>>

>>>The current layer is called "PACE" and runs properly written 68K apps
>>>in Garnet.
>>>

>> I am aware of PACE--it's been around for years.
>>

>>>So the new layer will run both 68K apps and Garnet apps on the new
>>>ALP.
>>

>> Again, I have *no* question about 68k apps (yet).
>>
>> Are you actually claiming that current Garnet apps using ARM-native
>> subroutines are going to work--unchanged under this new OS? I'll believe
>> that when I see it.

Me too. It is unfortunate enough to see Thunderbird, Firefox, and WordPress
extensions (among many other examples -- both native and Web-based) break
with the arrival of a new version. The developers need not do much work to
keep up with the changes, but nonetheless, it requires some maintenance and
occasional updates that many will never bother with.

> I doubt that they will build direct emulation into the OS. That means
> that though most applications will work with no problem, alot of games
> and some very hardware specific apps will not. Linux, however, has
> extensive emulation supports even now, and I am sure that some one will
> build a straight emulator for running older games and things of that
> nature. Naturally non of the hacks will work in PACE.

That exactly was my initial thought, but the issues could go deeper. Various
applications might incorporate very particular hacks, which will break even
on a good emulation layer.

The transition as a whole is a long-term investment. I just hope that its
drawbacks are carefully judged and emulation carefully tested.