Re: KDE 4 Screenshots

__/ [Larry Qualig] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 20:13 \__

http://www.networkmirror.com/s2PQd0WmV1csCoRh/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index%2Ephp%3Fshowtopic%3D127%2Ehtml

http://www.networkmirror.com/Dq6YEUqv9kgwP1Zw/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index%2Ephp%3Fshowtopic%3D141%2Ehtml

> I may be alone on this but the screenshots don't do all that much for
> me. Many of the images have this "cartoon-like" look IMO. This seems
> that this is the direction that XP and Vista are also going in. I'm not
> a fan of the UI in those either.

They seem to be aiming at a liquid appearance (not the Web-related
terminology), whereby you venture to guess context and try to redirect the
user using questions, pop-ups and all sorts of bells-and-whistles. This may
prove useful for newbies, but can annoy more experienced users who find this
ineffective. In Windows XP, fortunately enough, the user can opt for
old-styled Control Panel and and a Windows 98/ME/2000 lookalike (not clone),
at least as far as the GUI is concerned.