Re: KDE 4 Screenshots

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:17:36 -0600
<1kn2t87j6uhc2.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:32:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> * Site is a victim of the Slashdot effect. Mirrors below.
>>
>> * Get a glimpse at the WM that Linus Torvalds favours.
>>
>> * Notice the Plasma: http://plasma.bddf.ca/
>>
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/14/0429228

Operation threaded through a few links, landing on
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1094

which references

http://www.babylon2k.de/pub/kde/kate-kde4-20050522.png

which failed. (404)

>> http://www.networkmirror.com/s2PQd0WmV1csCoRh/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index%2Ephp%3Fshowtopic%3D127%2Ehtml

The pictures are a mix.

http://www.networkmirror.com/s2PQd0WmV1csCoRh/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index.php%3Fs=f39e5ab99197cc3187596010273f0c59&act=Attach&type=post&id=28

yields a Content-Type: failure (texted PNG).

http://www.networkmirror.com/s2PQd0WmV1csCoRh/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index.php%3Fs=f39e5ab99197cc3187596010273f0c59&act=Attach&type=post&id=29

yields a similar failure.

#5 shows a menu mockup.  The Run-in-the-Menu could yield
some issues with mouse clicks, especially with the
"Options>" just below -- if the user misses the blue
button he may get an expected submenu, which may overlap
the type-in, and furthermore a "clickaway" to attempt to
fix the problem may result in the entire menu tree going down.

http://www.networkmirror.com/s2PQd0WmV1csCoRh/www.planetdiaz.com/forums/index.php%3Fs=f39e5ab99197cc3187596010273f0c59&act=Attach&type=post&id=31

Another Content-Type failure.

#7-#10
More of the same.

The orchid is pretty but the fonts are far too big.
Of a more substantive sort, the folders notion for a popup menu may have
problems similar to the "Run-In-The-Menu".  It's hard to tell from
just a visual mockup.

#1: High bandwidth failure.
#2: There is no Next button for the installation widget.  Either the
user will have to go up and click on "Package Information", or
click on "Install" and hope it does the right thing, which presumably
would be to go to the next step in the wizard.  It is possible that
that's the only possible step here, although the old Netscape had
several options for packages: Communicator, their Emailer which is
now Thunderbird presumably, and something else whose purpose escapes me.
#3: This does have some nice features but may be overly fancy.  The
purpose of the "Stop" button may be problematic; does the install
abort leaving detrius or does it attempt to deinstall the already
copied stuff?  Either way, it should be clear.  The "save log" may
not be necessary if one knows about Control/A and paste, though
it's a nice touch.
#4:  The form is a mess; things need to be better aligned.  The
"user warning" should probably be reworded slightly or allow for
an option allowing for a restart of the entire reinstall after
doing a self-nuke then a "su installer".  This will result in
the closure of the form followed by a reinvocation, if all goes
well, but there are certain technical issues if su doesn't
handle DISPLAY properly.
#5: High bandwidth failure.
#6: Odd shrunken image, requesting identification for full-size.
#7: www.gimp.org has changed since this image was taken, or this
is some sort of "wish list" functionality that allows for dragging
the GIMP logo into one's toolbar.  (An interesting notion, but
one is left with many questions -- did one want to run it once,
install it, run it over the wire (NFS/AFS/CIFS), what?)

> Indeed, these all look very nice.  However, my understanding is that the
> screenshots are all mockups.

Near as I can tell they are mockups.  This doesn't necessarily mean
they're impossible, but the distribution of these mockups leaves
something to be desired.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's still legal to go .sigless.