Re: Picasa to be ported to Linux

  • Subject: Re: Picasa to be ported to Linux
  • From: "piperut" <rbehunin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Feb 2006 08:06:26 -0800
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [piperut] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:02 \__
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I just found this news story:
> >
> > Picasa is under beta testing to be ported to Linux:
> >
> > http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060214-084213
> >
> > That is about all it says.  However, it sounds hopeful.
> >
> > roland
>
> They are doing this port through WinE if I understood this correctly.
> Nonetheless, this seems to be the first application among a series, which
> should work rather fast (despite the 'WinE-layer' penalty) and be
> cross-distribution (probably self-contained, no 'dependency hell').
>
> The Windows Pack (distribution) is probably the sum of all applications that
> are due to become available to a more saturated range of platforms. Mind
> you, Google use Ubuntu on their desktops, so they need access to their own
> toys (apps) *smile*.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Hi Roy, others,

I had no idea how it was going to work, or what distribution it was
going to be on first.
In windows, I use Picasa and it is fairly nice.  The closest thing we
have in Linux is FL-Photo, and it lacks the email option that is in
Picasa.  Other then that, the two are fairly similar.

Now, if we could get the FL-Photo programmer to work with the Picasa
programmers, and just tweak the FL-Photo program so it had some of the
features of Picasa like the option to email the photos?  I know, that
is too much to ask...

roland