Re: One large site, or more smaller ones?

__/ [Will] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 19:17 \__

> Hi Group,
>
> I've been (more or less) lurking on this group for twelve months
> or so, and have decided that the time is ripe to try to generate some
> income from the interweb thingy :-)
>
> I've got some ideas of some niche markets to attempt to enter,
> though only as a "facilitator", rather than buying and selling
> directly. I've some potential clients interested in my endeavours, and
> being niche markets, the content is going to vary significantly site by
> site.
>
> The question then, is is it better to register a non-specific
> domain, and run each site as a sort of child site, or is it better to
> register each site with a domain related to the site?
>
> My query really comes from the thoughts of a single "umbrella"
> site, given time, ought to rank well for a quantity of diverse content
> ,some of which will be updated fairly regularly - against have numerous
> sites, which individually will rank lower, and many of which may not be
> updated or added to very frequently.
>
> Any views?

There's this fallacy that domains have a certain great value in this own
right, just for being top-level domains. It is natural to believe that more
domains will appear as though there is more content to offer and maybe a
larger number of Webmasters, who deserve more traffic /each/.

In reality, I find that fragmentation of large sites, or the idea of umbrella
sites (usually come /afterwards/, only to collate a scatter of existing Web
sites), does not work. They will have a logical existence, which plays an
important role, but they will not give you better ranks or traffic, which
appears to be what you're after.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
  4:05am  up 29 days 23:06,  20 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.21, 0.95