Re: Linux booted on Mactel.

__/ [Liam Slider] on Friday 17 February 2006 03:05 \__

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 02:39:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [Liam Slider] on Friday 17 February 2006 01:02 \__
>>
>>> http://xbox-linux.org.nyud.net:8090/mactel/index.php/Main_Page
>>>
>>> "Status
>>>
>>> Using elilo and a modified Linux kernel, we can boot from a USB hard
>>> disk on the 17" iMac Core Duo. We are using the hacked vesafb driver to
>>> inherit the bootloader's framebuffer, keyboard and a USB network card
>>> work. Gentoo runs and can compile the Linux kernel. "
>>>
>>> There she wrote.
>>
>> In other intersting news, Dvorak speculates that Apple will become a
>> hardware maker with Windows as the operating system.

>> The guy predicted Apple's move to Intel, among other things. So, all in
>> all, I wouldn't discard the ludicrous statement prematurely.
>
> Yes...and that's about the *only* tech prediction he's made among an
> enormous amount of tech predictions that's actually been right. Half
> of the stuff that comes out of Dvorak's mouth is completely asinine.

The "John Predicts" idiocy often reminds me of that whole Nostradamus and
Kurzweil malarkey. A person writes entire books filled with dross and fires
speculations like it's a bodily function. Eventually, people cling to the
few that can somehow be ascribed to a prediction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus#Misquotes_and_hoaxes

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/25/kurzweil-on-longevity/
   (notice the comment, which was added anonymously)