Re: Palm Zire 71 connecting problems

  • Subject: Re: Palm Zire 71 connecting problems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:23:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Rory Remenak ] on Tuesday 21 February 2006 22:04 \__

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:22:57 -0800, LordMerlin wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can someone please tell me where to start if I want to connect my Palm
>> Zire 71, via the the USB cradle to a Suse 9.3 machine?
>>
>> I installed KPilot, but it doesn't seem to connect, even though I told it
>> to connect to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1, as per what dmesg reported.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Well, I'm using JPilot 0.99.8 and have a Tungsten E which doesn't use a
> cradle, but from what others have said on the JPilot list, there is a
> timing issue when synching. For me, using /dev/ttyUSB1, I have to click on
> synch in the JPilot window and almost simultainiously, but definitely
> after, hit the Hot synch button on the T|E. any other order or timing and
> the synch fails. Others have reported a similar procedure. Some are using
> /dev/ttyUSB0, so you just have to try and see which works for you.

First of all, I suggest you have a look at the comprehensive HOWTO:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html

/dev/ttyUSB0 is likely to be the right port, as Rory pointed out already. In
SuSE 9.3 I can synchronise my Pilot without a need for internvention on both
ends. KPilot should run at SuSE/KDE startup once you step through the
wizard, initially. Thereafter, you need only press the button on the cradle
and a quick synchronisation will occur in the background. The crucial part
is setting up the communication channel. Post here if you have further
trouble as I have experience with JPilot, gpilot and KPilot, so I think I
can help much further.

With kind regards,