Re: Gartner on Server Trends

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 01:18 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_hi_te/server_sales
>>
>> <quote>
>>  The numbers, released Tuesday, show the continuation of a trend
>>  toward servers based on commodity, or "x86," microprocessors from
>
> Server! Server! Server!
>
> When are we going to stop hearing *Server* and start hearing /Desktop/!!!

Any desktop is also a server. Any contribution made to the server side
positively affects the desktop side. Examples:

* Why can a Linux desktop stay up for several years without requiring a
reboot?

* Why can Linux handle multitasking so admirably well?

* Why can load be balanced and distributed over multiple Linux desktops or
computational servers?

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  4:15am  up 5 days 16:34,  8 users,  load average: 0.95, 0.67, 0.74