Re: Gartner on Server Trends

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 01:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
> <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:33:49 -0500
> <tv8vc3xtfe.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_hi_te/server_sales
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>>  The numbers, released Tuesday, show the continuation of a trend
>>>  toward servers based on commodity, or "x86," microprocessors from
>>>  Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc. They often run the freely
>>>  distributed Linux operating system.
>>>
>>>  [...]
>>>
>>>  High-end servers based on non-x86 chips that run the Unix operating
>>>  system saw shipments fall 5.3 percent with just a 0.5 percent increase
>>>  in revenue, Hewitt said.
>>>
>>>  "The replacement at the low end of this market with Linux servers
>>>  and declines at the high end of the market are the reasons for
>>>  these results," he (Jeffrey Hewitt) said.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> Believe it or not, Windows is not even mentioned in this report.
>>
>> Wow! Not only has windows lost the server race, Unix is taking a beating
>> also... Fantastic.
>>

> I for one am not too surprised.  After all, if Linux is winning
> over Windows users based on cost in the business world, Linux will
> also win over Unix users based on cost there, too, at least for the
> lower end stuff (high-powered servers might tough it out for awhile).
>
> A bit like IBM PC clones in that respect; prices dropped, and everyone
> benefits -- at least in theory.

Well,  from  a more philosophical point of view, as soon as  _less_  money
gets spent on software and less human labour gets invested in competitive,
commercial  software development (OSS has competitiveness too, but  rarely
re-invents  the wheel owing to the GPL), more rigor could be put where  is
matters.

Rather than employ 'box booters' (as Ballard refers to them) and AV devel-
opers,  we  could further explore and encourage research. The skills  will
merely  be channelled and software will be more self-maintaining. Develop-
ments  in computing, such as quantom computing (hardware), new peripherals
(hardware again), physical methods of interaction and visualisation (hard-
ware  e.g. [1]), will actually benefit more than a few people in  Redmond.
They  will  benefit  humanity and lead to technological progress  that  no
longer suffers from a monoculture that discourages innovation.

[1] http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6041767-1.html

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  4:20am  up 5 days 16:39,  8 users,  load average: 0.65, 0.59, 0.66