Re: eSys PC (was: Dell+Linux?)

__/ [ 7 ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 18:45 \__

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/precn_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_380?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

>> Dell  think they can pull a fast one: selling Linux for the same price  as
>> the  equivalent  offering with a Windows XP licence. Just remove  the  "n"
>> from  the  model  and then search the Web, hitting the first  result.  The
>> truth is suddenly unravelled.
>>
>> Having  said that, it is nice that Dell are making progress. It is no sur-
>> prise either. Michael Dell gave 100 millions dollars _out of his own pock-
>> et_ to Red Hat Linux. That was over 6 months ago if I recall correctly, so
>> it  was  bound to happen. The open PC (void hard-drive), on the  contrary,
>> was  /more/ expensive than the equivalent with Windows. So let's call that
>> *progress*, but avoid unnecessary enthusiasm.
>>
>> Roy
>

> I agree.
> So who cares about Dell$ if they sell PCs with GNU/Linux and overcharge?
> Dell$ nowwhere to be seen when it comes to competitive value for money.

I was going to defend that using the same argument that you had already
listed below.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16488053918&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=89079
> For 127.64 pounds you get a 2.26GHz PC.

No shit? I got my first eSys system for 170 including tax and home delivery.
It was the same price the second time they delivered. A few months ago,
somebody in the LUG's mailing list spotted the same item going for sale at
GBP 145. How cheap can computers get? Nearly as expansive as a Windows XP
licence. The same computer was said to cost around GBP 250 when sold with
Windows (Froogle, about 6 months ago, according to the UK Linux newsgroup).

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I warmheatedly recommend that 2.26GHz eSys model. It has been 5 months
and not a single quirk since it was set up.

roy@linux:~> uptime
  7:28pm  up 82 days  1:42,  8 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.02, 1.01