Re: older computer distro?

__/ [ Technomage Hawke ] on Friday 24 February 2006 09:13 \__

> ok,
> I have an older model compaq presario 1255 laptop unit with a small amount
> of ram (default 32 MB) and 4 GB hd.

This reminds me of my Compaq Preserio 1246. It originally came with 32 MB of
RAM, 4 GB of hard-drive space and a 400 MHz AMD processor. Do not attempt to
install Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu 4 ran out of memory at the installation stages
(tried that while at the airport last year).

> which distro is the best for this situation where X will work without being
> PAINFULLY slow?

X should be fine provided that not much is strapped onto it.

> I use suse, debian and others on my bug desktop machines and they are
> definitely inapprpriate for that little laptop.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/

I think that a new version of Puppy came out yesterday.

Hope it helps and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  9:10am  up 6 days 21:29,  8 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.42, 0.51