Re: $100 Linux Laptop: 150 Million Units per Year

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Friday 24 February 2006 12:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> "Professor Negroponte predicts there could be 100 million to 150 million
>> shipped every year by 2007."
>>
> -> Could this be realistic?
>
> Hard to say. Worldwide PC shipments right now are about 180-million per
> year. If the price were to fall substatially (as in $100) then it would
> open up the market to an entirely new demographic.
>
> My -guess- is that it's possible but not likely. But then again... if
> Professor Negroponte picked a more conservative figure like 60-million
> units his prediction would not have made the news.

He said 100-150 million, but being the initiator of these whole thing, he
must project some enthusiasm and confidence. According to some headlines, he
stepped off his role in MIT under a week ago. He will dedicate his time to a
project that could substantially change the world. Imagine the impact on the
diversity across the Web...