Re: Any Forum \ List Suggestions - Want - Small, Friendly & Mixed OS Based?

  • Subject: Re: Any Forum \ List Suggestions - Want - Small, Friendly & Mixed OS Based?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:29:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ [ Pete ] on Friday 24 February 2006 18:47 \__

> I guess people have asked this question a million times.. so hey it's
> my turn to ask :)
>
> Anyone know of a good friendly small forums for a newbie where both
> linux, DOS & windows users mix and the language is not too technical?
>
> I've set myself a learning goal to get to grips with simple commands
> to do stuff I could do blind-folded in DOS or windows.
>
> I'd like for example just to be able to setup and do stuff with a
> floppy sized server..
>
> Whilst learning basic stuff like that I aim learn whilst I have some
> fun playing with a basic live CD of DSL. Seeing what I can do. Getting
> DSL to run off a USB Pen on a non CF boot capable machine that shares
> the same USB port as the floppy drive...
>
> I know DSL has a forum but it's a bit over powering and with 34
> different sections it's probably more for the die hards or programmer
> minded... I think something smaller and friendlier....
>
> Also interested in QEMU on windows running DSL and trying to get a USB
> CF Pen to work inside it...
>
> Kind of forum where nothing is fast paced and people mix for the fun
> of having a go rather than all the life style stuff.
>
> Any suggestions welcome..
>
> Pete
> UK

I am finding more and more Linux users in uk.comp.misc. Several years ago it
was relatively Windows-oriented, but that appears to change. The folks there
are rather friendly, but sometimes lack more of hardcore user's knowledge or
a *nix 'users pool'. In such circumstances, if the question is 'advanced'
and Web cannot help, comp.is.linux.misc or the distro-specific newsgroups
are helpful. You cannot ask very fundamental in such newsgroups because it
might lead to vanity or flames.

I am unaware of any on-line forums where DOS, Windows and Linux users /truly/
mingle.

With friendly regards,