Re: invisible gif and PR

  • Subject: Re: invisible gif and PR
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:25:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ David Dorward ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 11:29 \__

> admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I had the idea of putting small transparent (invisible) gif images on
>> my best PR4 site with links to my other sites so that google indexes
>> them.

Yes. Any invisible element is perceived as a sin -- either keyword stuffing
or hidden links. Text is easiest to detect based on colour values, from
which contrast can be inferred.

Google have algorithm for detecting this. Hidden image-based links can one
day be discovered and reported by your competitor(s).

> Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of
> thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a
> website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this
> help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"

*smile* Yes, that's the way I often explain this. Detraction and distractions
as opposed to contribution.

>   -- http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
>
> Does it help your users?
> Would you do it if search engines didn't exist?
>
> I'm guessing not in both cases.

I can think of exceptions where a site is made indexable for local search
(e.g. phpdig) to traverse it better. It's a very rare exception though.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
  3:15pm  up 8 days  3:34,  9 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.59, 0.51