Re: One billion downloads

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 16:06 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 15:55 \__
>>
>> > The billionth song was purchased and downloaded from iTunes the other
>> > day. Anything technology or product that sells a billion of anything is
>> > something that can't be ignored.
>> >
>> > http://www.apple.com/itunes/1billion/
>>
>> Slashdot's coverage of the story:
>>
>> Thomas Hawk writes "Apple is out hyping their one billionth iTunes
>> download today, but is building your music library in a format that could
>> be obsolete in the future really the best strategy? Will the consumer once
>> again have to someday replace their iTunes track just like they had to
>> replace their LP, cassette, and CD only to get their music on their hot
>> new non Apple mp3 phone of the future? "
>

> Two things I don't like about this story....
>
> #1 - Using that logic why buy anything? Eventually everything will be
> come obsolete so should people wait forever to buy something.
>
> #2 - Is there any reason music can't be converted from mp3 or m4a (iPod
> formats) to whatever the "phone of the future" format is going to be?
> If you can convert... then your music isn't obsolete.

Two things I don't like about this opinion.... *smile*

#1 - What about collectors? The BBC recently unleashed an item which
discussed libraries that get some unnerving feelings about DRM.

#2 - Conversions require time, research and are not guaranteed to work. Some
are lossy. I used to have concerns over Palm calendar data -- a problem
which I believe I resolved after many hours of research. I do not intend to
migrate, but there is this constant fear in one's mind. Fear about that
crossroad which might inevitably be reached one day. Any proprietary concept
is uncomforting. Changed of standards likewise, but these are usually benign
as they are /openly/ understood.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
  4:10pm  up 8 days  4:29,  9 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.33, 0.64