Re: HELP -- UBUNTU -- Do not have a proper compiling system

__/ [ Ignoramus20905 ] on Monday 27 February 2006 05:32 \__

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:01:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 17:34 \__

>> Of course not. It's Ubuntu. It's a family distribution, so compilation of
>> kernels are not part of the deal. When I set up Ubuntu, I just needed to
>> choose GCC from Synaptic (see "Package Manager", don't resort to the
>> command-line). All subsequent compilations ought to work fine. If not, try
>> to get a packaged installation of MPlayer rather than the source code.
>
> I could not find mplayer (no kidding), even though I enabled all
> repositories.

>> Don't bother complicating matters by chasing pertinent components of the
>> package. Try to step back and get MPlayer using other methods. You could
>> also get one of the many other media players, which are equally good and
>> use the same codebase for handling of codecs.
>>

> I endd up installing VLC and everything works just fine. I do like
> MPlayer though, I wish that I had it.

>>> In my Mandrake system these files belong to 'glibc-devel' package. I
>>> don't know if *ubuntu distributions have the same name package but
>>> you can try apt-get it.
>>>
>>> Apostolos
>>

>> *smile* What does the 4-year-old son need MPlayer for anyway? Teach him to
>> Lynx the Web and put an end to exposure to violence and kissy wissy.
>
> His favorie movie is the Titanic (somewhat edited to get rid of most
> gruesome scenes).
>
> He is, fortunately, not a TV guy and does not watch any TV.

Computers, and particularly the Internet, obviate the need for TV, videos and
even the cinema (passive mode information absorance). Last year I gave away
my TV, having not used it for over 3 years. Delivery of information in
interactive form is something that even *interactive* TV is yet to *attempt*
to compete with. We are not yet living in an age where video can be tailored
'on the fly' and be delivered in interactive mode, unlike for instance,
SERP's, text- and imahe-based AI, and semantics.

Anyhoo... get him to know the Web and the computer. It's a better (and often
safer) loeveaffair. Equip his with valuable education using the right tools.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
  6:50am  up   3:01,  7 users,  load average: 0.95, 0.69, 0.69