Re: need help fixing yast2 problem on 9.3

  • Subject: Re: need help fixing yast2 problem on 9.3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:20:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Brian Hall ] on Monday 27 February 2006 05:20 \__

> I am remotely administering several new SUSE 9.3 servers
> via the Internet. On one of them I have messed up yast2
> somehow (probably through aborting an online update).
>
> The symptoms are:
>
> 1) start yast2 (ncurses interface)

That ncurses interface is a killer feature, is it not? *smile*

> 2) select software, install & remove
> 3) tab over to search
> 4) search for a package (uemacs for example)
> 5) nothing is found
> ?
>
> On the other servers, the package I am searching for
> shows up at that point and I can select it for
> installation.
>
> What can I do to fix this? I tried rpm --rebuilddb but
> that didn't do anything. It seems like yast2 is in some
> weird state, I looked in the logfiles but didn't see
> anything obvious. What kind of things should I be
> looking for?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

It sounds as though connection issue might be the culprit. Try a simple
search for ubiquitous packages and see if anything comes up. If the package
is searched for locally (and will not require fetching from the Net or even
the CD like Synaptic), then I guess my advice is baseless and pointless. If
you administer several such machines, why not reinstall SuSE again? Over the
current installation even while leaving /home in tact.

You could possibly get your solution quicker by experimenting in this way
over the existing unit. If all machines are identical and are connected in
the same way (try to swap some general conditions like network sockets
around), then suspect a hardware inconsistency or a rotten installation,
assuming you have not re-installed yet.