Re: Delete entire directory, getting argument list too long?

__/ [ michelebargeman@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 27 February 2006 09:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The brutal way:
>
> Don't you think that directory is being brutal by not letting itself
> killed :) I am sure its not the case of finding a new life form :)
>

>> mv <PATH>/<mail_spool_dir> /dev/null
>
> I have never done this before - but I wonder what would happen to the
> file in /dev/null or /dev/zero? According to man "Data written on a
> null or zero special file is discarded."
>
> What I mean to ask is - will it free up the space from the hard disk?

Maybe it depends on the filesystem. I once did some reading on /dev/null
(leisure time) and it seems to not only purge the files permanently (moving
them onto a void), but also free up the space. I raised a similar question
to myself about the following Perl code:

unlink $file or die "could not unlink \"$file\": $!";

Dances with Crows composed that for me... (bless him)