Re: patching suse 9.2

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ houghi ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 14:50 \__

Xavier wrote:

Hello free riders...

After installing a suse 9.2 i unfortunately patched it (as it was
proposed...)

questions are :

1° how can i use tcsh after this patching??? it seems to have disapear...
??? 2° how can i launch or stop services (with the old sysv it was so
fun...) ???

Have you considered downloading them from the Net and then reinstalling them? Does YaST list them? Perhaps you can untick, then tick them and let the CD's restore their existence.

3° do i have to go back to the unpatched version ... ???

You must reinstall from the CD's again. There is no going back, but there /is/ going forward, even if it means the unavailability is needed modules. I am very surprised this happened though. The updates should be additive.

Define 'patching'. What have you done?

I imagine Xavier that is referring to YaST Online Updates (YOU), which are advised at the very start. YOU is launched automatically on a newly-set up machine and recommends patching of various components.

Last time I followed YOU it was in SuSE 9.3 when it borked KDM and KDE
startup on subsequent reboots. It was definitely not worth it.

Best wishes,

Roy

Yes i was referring to YaST Online Updates (YOU), which are advised at the very start ...

I already used YOU in common times (i.e. long after installing ;-)) Then no major troubles...

At install time,... things are going the wrong way and it was for a friend ;-(

Ok by now I checked YaST list and all shells was selected ... but tcsh can't be used ...

Second question if you have more ideas : where can i find ksysv which is used in order to choose daemons for each level?
On my computer, I put it in the start menu ... long time ago (perharps i have done a find / -name ...)

Xavier