Re: Odd problem with ssh and hosting service

__/ [ Allis ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 16:45 \__

> Knowing the little foolery that wise men have makes a great show, Roy
> Schestowitz has proclaimed :
>
>> __/ [ Allis ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 16:34 \__
>>
>>> Knowing the little foolery that wise men have makes a great show, Roy
>>> Schestowitz has proclaimed :

>>> Adding a note: Be careful of just adding a phpshell to the account
>>> without the host's knowledge.
>>> Many of these are abused, and hosts run server searches for them,
>>> disable and shut off the account for doing so.
>>
>> You are the second person who has told me this. *gasp* Now I'm getting
>> a little worried.
>>
>> Well, I put it in a password-protected directory, phpshell itself is
>> password-protected and I only ever use it for very fundamental things.
>> I am aware of people who got the server under fire because of poor
>> password choices or negligence.
>>
>> What about phpproxy? Any restrictions on that? I soon
>> password-protected that small-yet-powerful program. It could lead to
>> any arbitrary type of traffic and can cripple the server.
>
> When in doubt, ask your host ;)
> Honestly, many put up phpshells, proxies and uploaders and know nada
> about their security issues. This is what worries hosts most, and hurts
> host most also. Just like a simple contact form can be injected.

I guess I would be able to use Apache's directory protection as an argument
of defence. Frankly, it is only myself who ever bothers to get access to
these tools. I no longer make any tool/package public unless it has earned
some reputation.

Many thanks for the advice, Allis.