Re: MA in trouble again?

__/ [B Gruff] on Sunday 01 January 2006 20:37 \__

> Oh dear oh dear:-(
>
> MA is at it again.
> This time suggesting (mandating!) Standards for web sites!
> "Websites and web-based applications developed by Executive Department
> agencies must comply with version 2.0 of the Web Accessibility Standards"
>
> Ye gods - I hope that they've cleared all this with Microsoft, else there
> will be another outcry!  They go so far as to claim that making things
> available via a single browser is Not Good!
> (We can probably ignore that last bit - it only came from some unknown
> cretin called Tim Berners-Lee, Director, World Wide Web Consortium)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cbypz

Web Accessibility Standards are mandated already for all government-bound Web
sites. However, as FEMA and the US Patent Office have proven, there is some
lax attitude in practice. In due time, harsh criticism will do its things.
The outcry from the growing number of non-Windows users makes it
unacceptable.

__/ [Erik Funkenbusch] on Monday 02 January 2006 02:27 \__

> Section 508 is already mandated by all government sites, Version w of WAI
> is only slightly more restrictive.
>
> Believe it or not, Microsoft has taken web standards VERY seriously lately.
> Visual Studio 2005 generates XHTML 1.1 compliant code by default, and IE7
> is shaping up to be very standards compliant (though not completely, they
> ahve a long way to catch up).

Don't let him fool you. IE7 is "cancer on the Web":

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html?Ad=1

Erik is being fed with whatever propaganda the company he works for
orchestrates.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
  6:55am  up 22 days 14:06,  14 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.33, 0.39