Re: Palm Z22 alarm sounds: damned quiet!

  • Subject: Re: Palm Z22 alarm sounds: damned quiet!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 05:40:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [Ian Rawlings] on Tuesday 27 December 2005 17:38 \__

> On 2005-12-27, Nick Dobb <n1ckd0bb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> All I can suggest is that you try another out in a shop somewhere.
>
> I've already forwarded instructions on to my sister telling her how to
> get the shop machine to ring an alarm to see if it's as quiet.  I
> don't tend to go into towns much so doubt I'll see another one for
> many months.
>
>> Ian, I'd be interested to know whether the Preferences screen
>> includes a Network option or not.
>
> No, the Z22 is designed as a bare-bones system, no bluetooth, no SD
> slots, no voice recording, just the basics which is fine for my sis
> but obviously not enough for those who need something a little more.
> It has infra-red so in theory it's capable of making a link with a
> mobile phone but it looks like the system support isn't there.  I saw
> nothing on the add-ons CD either.

The Z22 probably caters for all the needs of most users. The rest is often
'flash' in my perception. I also agree that a sufficiently loud alarm is a
matter of practicality that should not be neglected.

>> managed to pick up a brand-new-but-ex-display Tungsten E for £55
>> (after a bit of haggling) in Comet - plus £27 for a three year
>> warranty, wahey! Now I just need to find a stylus, charger, maybe a
>> synch cable, and the software that should have been on the
>> accompanying CD.
>
> I bought one of those some time ago, but no "universal sync
> connector", no bluetooth (I think), no voice notes, so it went
> straight back and I bought a second-hand T3 to act as a backup for my
> main T3.  I recently sold the backup T3 and am looking to move to a
> linux-based PDA as Palm appear to be going backwards, as are the apps
> I use to sync it to my linux boxes.

Be sure to have a look at the Nokia 770 if you haven't already. PIM will
probably be available for that model shortly. I'm just lurking until it
evolves and matures.

If you use Linux on the desktop, you can then say farewell to gpilot, kpilot
and the rest of the flaky software that makes data hard to access.

As for Palm, I wonder if they currently work on incorporating the Linux
kernel and doing a complete makeover. Whether this explains the static state
of Palm OS development, I can't tell for sure.

Best wishes,