Re: Linux Not Good For Texas Hold 'Em

  • Subject: Re: Linux Not Good For Texas Hold 'Em
  • From: rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 1 Jan 2006 09:52:35 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
What version of Java is he running?
What application is he running?
What version of Java are required/supported by the application?
What version of Linux was being run?
What versions of Java are provided by this version of Linux?

The typical problem:
   User installs older version of Linux that installs Java 1.3.1 or
something equally old.
   User attempts to access web applet - which tries to use
         features only offered in Java 1.5
   It works - until garbage collection or other "housekeeping" purge
the session bean.

Other possible problem:
   Applet calls JNI function - which is direct call to Microsoft DLL
functon.
   When Applet attempts to call JNI function on Linux - applet fails -
no communication.

Other possible solution:
   Keep-alive option has not been set on JVM interface to TCP/IP.
    Java TCP connection times out due to appearant lost connection,

Timing indicates that it's either Garbage Collection or TCP/IP Socket
timing that is triggering the failure.

Of course, we don't even want to start to think about the fact that
John Bailo may have been attempting to gamble illegally.