Re: Hard disk running...and running...and running...and...

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:42:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Gave us:

>__/ [mst] on Monday 02 January 2006 07:25 \__
>
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 04:33:37 GMT Hachiroku <Trueno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Since I filled my primary drive, my hard drive has been running and
>>> running, hosing the system. Even simple tasks take foreveer.
>>
>> When you say 'running', what does that mean? That the drive
>> light is constantly flickering?
>>
>>> A glimpse at my memory stats says 512M or ram is used 95%...from Boot!
>>> Swap space is 75% used...from Boot! WTF is going on here?
>>
>> As a rule, that's how Linux uses memory. But it does sound
>> just a tad suspicious.
>>
>> What does 'top' and 'df -h' reveal? Have you run fsck from a
>> boot CD to check the partition(s)?   Which version of SUSE are
>> you running? What are you hardware specs?
>
>I  think the fact that the OP "filled the primary drive" provides a  clue.
>When I run low on space (sometimes accidentally reaching 0), the system is
>as  slow as hell and I just hope to be able to open a shell (or Konqueror)
>to  quickly delete something from the system that's 'choking'. If I reboot
>with  0  bytes available, I might be forced to clear some space  from  the
>non-graphical command-line.
>
>Roy

  Yep. A full hard drive can be a disaster for any system that wants
some drive space to perform certain tasks when certain apps are run.

  One must pay the fiddler. I never have any drives that don't have a
few GB left open on them.

  In WindBlows, Symantec pukes all over itself when scanning for
virii, if there is too small an amount of drive space available.

  At least in Linux, it doesn't fall flat on its face (the system),
regardless of what one tries to run.  The other issue is swap
partition size. Many folks don't make this large enough.  It should
always be at least twice the size of the RAM installed, and I make
mine fairly huge.  This is always "liked" by the system in every
instance I have done it.