Re: protecting copyright images in firefox

  • Subject: Re: protecting copyright images in firefox
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 07:53:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [carolyn] on Monday 02 January 2006 22:10 \__

> Rob McAninch wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz>:
>>> __/ [carolyn] on Sunday 01 January 2006 04:54 \__

>>> This can definitely reduce the amount of stealing nonetheless. It deters
>>> the mediocre user from stealing.
>>
>> The user it deters is most likely not doing any damage. Perhaps
>> wanting to email the image to a friend or use it as wallpaper (which
>> is still not legal unless you grant those rights). And then there's
>> the users that it challenges. Those are the users that are somewhat
>> more damaging, as they may try defacing the website as well or just
>> be annoying.
>>

> Then there is also those users who want to copy it for educational or
> research purposes.  Both of which are legal by Canadian copyright law.
> There could be a question of jurisdiction, if I sit at my computer in
> Canada and copy a photo, block of text, or whatever, (for educational
> purposes) from a website in the States, is my action in Canada and therefor
> legal, or is it in the states and therefor subject to American law?
>
> Anyways, you are correct - the users that can be deterred by scripts are
> probably not the ones to be concerned about.
>
> Carolyn

Interesting  point.  Many people in research are assembling  presentations
with graphics that have been nicked from the Web. At times, such presenta-
tions are made available on the World Wide Web in one form or another.

When  I create presentations (using S5 or OO Presenter), I pay careful at-
tention  to  copyrights. If I borrow an image, I use stock exchanges  that
have  no restrictions or attribute the source in the actual slide. It's  a
matter of common courtesy.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  7:50am  up 23 days 15:01,  13 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.28, 0.46