Re: Minor(under 18) and OSS license

  • Subject: Re: Minor(under 18) and OSS license
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:37:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [George Ellison] on Wednesday 04 January 2006 16:18 \__

> "semisphere" <bainsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Has anyone seen any precedents for a minor under 18 releasing software
>> under an open source license?  Since contracts are not always legally
>> binding for minors does that mean that using software developed by a
>> minor could be a risk if they turn around and decide to void the open
>> source license?
>> thanks in advance
>
> Licenses come under copyright law, not contract law. I see no reason why it
> would be construed that a minor would not have copyright to their own
> work.

I agree. Age should not play a role. I think that Blake Ross was 17 when he
initiated Mozilla Firefox and /behold/. He didn't do all that bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Ross

If needed, you could also have an older figure defend rights on your own
behalf.

Hope it helps and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
  4:30pm  up 24 days 23:41,  10 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.32, 0.38