Re: not exactly a conspiracy theory, but...

__/ [catherine yronwode] on Friday 06 January 2006 03:50 \__

> I suppose that many of the regulars here have noticed the recent influx
> of posters with little or no posting history here who are submiting
> short, snappy, one 'graph long, professionally written, first-person
> accounts of how or why they no longer use google and prefer yahoo for
> searches?
>
> I am not exactly a conspiracy theorist, but reading these oddly
> off-centered messages  day after day -- with their narrowly programmatic
> opinions, their almost uniform word-counts, identical levels of
> literacy, and highly targetted subject matter -- i am beinginning to
> wonder is yahoo is so desperate for "buzz" that they have hired a
> flack-boi to post these silly bursts of "first person personal" ads for
> yahoo.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> cat yronwode

Good observation. However, Yahoo have got good history as far as ethics are
concerned. these could be Munchkins nonetheless.

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

John Dvorak:

    "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using online
mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues of
Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it was
obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers and energy
(and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who liked to pile
on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows won the operating-system
war through fifth-column tactics"

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
  7:55am  up 26 days 15:06,  12 users,  load average: 0.85, 0.59, 0.55