Re: The value of Wikipedia links?

  • Subject: Re: The value of Wikipedia links?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:36:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:12 \__

> Marco Schmidt <marcoschmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> John Bokma:

>>>How many visitors, roughly, a day? Also, I think that the quality of
>>>such traffic could be higher.
>>
>> Three to five visitors per Wikipedia link per day. These pages each
>> get between 30 and 120 hits per day, Wikipedia is responsible for four
>> to ten percent of the traffic of those pages (the 0.1 % mentioned
>> above was with regard to all referers from all pages, not a good
>> measure). Not really bad, but it all pales in comparison to Google et
>> al. In fact, forget the al. as well. :)
>
> Sounds ok with me, also because the trafic via Wikipedia is often very
> specific.

If only the following page continued to be maintained, gaining insight into
which pages get most visits would be possible.

http://wikimedia.org/stats/en.wikipedia.org/

Webalizer snips the popular pages when it reaches a certain threshold.
AWStats does not do this, which means that for any given page, you can
easily check the number of visits. For large sites, however, opening of such
bloated pages is worth the investment and can be tolerated by the memory (or
disk swap). Yes, I'm an AWStats fan and I think it is under-rated by most; I
won't deny it. *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
  7:30pm  up 28 days  2:41,  13 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.60, 0.68