Re: Am I Seeing A Trend With SUSE 10?

  • Subject: Re: Am I Seeing A Trend With SUSE 10?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:28:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Vahis] on Monday 09 January 2006 13:05 \__

> Lee Peedin wrote:
>> A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread ("Don't Know Where To
>> Start"), that indicated my problems with loading SUSU 10 on a Dell
>> Inspiron 1000.
>>
>> After receiving several great suggestions, I had to give up on the
>> installation - SUSE 10 will simply not recognize my HDD.  Since that
>> time I've seen at least 2 (and maybe more) threads indicating problems
>> with SUSE 10 & SiS IDE drivers. Some indicated that they were running
>> 9.2, but after upgrading to 10, their drive was not recognized.
>>
>> So are we seeing a trend that SUSE 10 is having problems with SiS
>> drivers?
>>
>> Lee
>
> Wouldn't know, only one of my (desktop) machines is with sis. It has
> been upgraded to 10.0 without any problems. But no experience of 10.0
> with laptops. Laptops seem to be the most common problem with any of the
> distro. Maybe sis in a laptop is a bad combo?

There  are two distributions which I are heavily used on laptops (also  in
general,  but regardless...): SuSE and Ubuntu. I think it has a lot to  do
with Wi-Fi support, which of course is prevalent among mobile computers.

Have  you tried the Ubuntu Live CD? This will at least give you an indica-
tion  of whether a bug report is suitable and if so, does it lie somewhere
among SuSE or can it be associated with the Linux kernel? I once looked at
a  commit digest of the kernel and it seemed as if there were many contor-
butions  from SuSE developers. Maybe you can help resolve that issue  that
has been raised by so many, as your findings suggest.

Best wishes,