Re: Google Analytics and AWStats (Was: The value of Wikipedia links?)

  • Subject: Re: Google Analytics and AWStats (Was: The value of Wikipedia links?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:32:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Big Bill] on Monday 09 January 2006 23:17 \__

>>If only the following page continued to be maintained, gaining insight into
>>which pages get most visits would be possible.
>>
>>http://wikimedia.org/stats/en.wikipedia.org/
>>
>>Webalizer snips the popular pages when it reaches a certain threshold.
>>AWStats does not do this, which means that for any given page, you can
>>easily check the number of visits. For large sites, however, opening of
>>such bloated pages is worth the investment and can be tolerated by the
>>memory (or disk swap). Yes, I'm an AWStats fan and I think it is
>>under-rated by most; I won't deny it. *smile*
>>
>>Roy
>
> How do you feel it compares if at all with Google Analytics?

I  know  that Urchin (Google Analytics) have got plenty more  information,
but the time required to 'consume' that information sometimes makes it im-
practical.  Also,  the time required to produce the stats is slowing  down
the server or your computer (if done off-line and periodically), let alone
the  delivery  of pages to site visitors (remote scripting). You  can  see
when you are being spied on even without looking at the source. The status
bar shows this briefly. With Site Meter, you can clearly see the small im-
age with your details embedded in a link.

Urchin  is  probably good either for businesses where paths of  navigation
need  to be leanred in order to increase rate of successful sales or  cus-
tomer satisfaction. Urchin is also good for 'stats junkies'.

The  other issue is that Urchin is a third-party software under Google  so
not only do you exposure plenty of information (including hidden pages and
surfing  patterns  of both your ans your visitors/clients), but  also  you
have  no direct touch with your statistics. It's like Web-based mail  ser-
vices.  You might, at some stage, wish to take your data home (say Address
Books), but the export facilities are often not there. They are not a pri-
ority because they encourage the customer to leave.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
  4:20am  up 30 days 11:31,  15 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.32, 0.48