Re: Legal implications for our resident Microsoft employees ?

__/ [Madhusudan Singh] on Tuesday 10 January 2006 05:18 \__

> http://news.com.com/2010-1028_3-6022491.html
>
> No matter how much wintrolls' basic dishonesty lowers my faith in basic
> human decency, I think that this law is a very poorly conceived / written
> one. Who decides what is annoying ? Arbitrary, over-reaching, and
> distressingly like the lobby-driven Congress to slip in such a
> fundamentally unsound provision into law. Fully expect it to get overturned
> on first amendment grounds.

My bet is that one would need to file 6 copies of some paper form to some
department which may or may not take the time to have a look. How would they
ever hunt down people based on IP addresses? I guess that ISP data retention
laws assist.

What is the implication on anonymity that does *not* encourage vile offence?
UseNet archives, for example, make it far from pargamatic. Having said that,
this could make anonymous Munchkins [1] illegal, at least in Linux forums
where they are unwelcome and disruptive at times.

Roy

[1] http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html