Re: links from google group will helpfull for seo or not ?

  • Subject: Re: links from google group will helpfull for seo or not ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:26:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Mahesh] on Wednesday 11 January 2006 11:08 \__

> hi friends
> will anybody of u tell me wether links to our site which r listed in
> this message <Google Groups> when crowlled will consider for seo.
> for example, i posted a message to google groupin last week. before
> that  my site was not inexed by google but it is at top position in
> yahoo and MSN. but now i recieve 10 replies in google group about my
> query, and google shows good listing of my site.
> url : www.netland .in
>  is it fact or google will crowl group first
> mahesh

Okay, I was going to say this before when you titled a post "Thanks Google
Groups", but I held back. We are not Google Groups and are not affiliated
with Google in *any* way.

There is no such thing as Google Groups. This is UseNet, which had emerged
about 15 years before Google was even born. The 'contribution' of Google
Groups to us are hit-and-run posters, orphaned messages without attributions
and archiving of message, often without consent. That clarification off my
chest, I feel better now. *smile*

__/ [--Fred--] on Wednesday 11 January 2006 15:24 \__

> "Mahesh" <maheshugale123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> hi friends
>> will anybody of u tell me wether links to our site which r listed in
>> this message <Google Groups> when crowlled will consider for seo.
>
> Google factors them in. I usually snip my signature because I don't want
> other SEO professionals that frequent this group to think I am using the
> group for self-promotion purposes.
>
> Also, it can cause my web site to get listings in Google results for some
> pretty strange keyword searches due to us discussing various targeting
> agenda's. For example, let's say we were discussing a promotion effort
> regarding :
>
> The Blue Crested Grouse in the Northern Hemisphere
>
> Well, a few days from now, this message will appear in the results of a
> keyphrase search for "Blue Crested Grouse in the Northern Hemisphere " and
> my signature, which I have included in this message as a test, will
> potentially appear in part of the description. Now, I know that that's not
> a really big deal, but I just don't like the misassociation.
>
> Sure, some leave their url's in the messages, not so much in this group,
> for the explicit  purpose of acquiring BackLinks, but I am not convinced
> that these backlinks are of high quality. Some some can sure make it up in
> volume though!

I don't believe that Google Groups links are ever followed or receive credit.
However, there are various high-traffic newsgroups that get mirrored onto
Web sites (with decent traffic too). That is where inbound links can be
gained.

>> is it fact or google will crowl group first
>
> I am pretty sure that it varies. It may appear that way sometimes and then
> other times the theory doesn't hold.
>
> Fred
> Basic SEO, Tools, Tips and Resources
> www.rezultz-web-site-promotion.com

This, for example, will appear in about 7 Web sites that mirror this
newsgroups systematically, in its entirety.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
  7:15am  up 32 days 14:26,  14 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.28, 0.44